Sunday, April 3, 2011

75 Memories

My grandpa would have been 75 on March 24th. I listed off 75 things that I learned from him or memories I have of him and gave them to my grandma. I thought it might help her. I miss him a lot. Still can't believe I won't see him again.

75 Memories and Things I Learned from Papa

1. I miss Papa so much already, but I know that he’s always watching over me and keeping me safe.

2. Papa liked circus peanuts and would share with us sometimes.

3. I remember when Papa quit smoking and would always have caramel apple lollipops around to help him.

4. When I came home from school to visit Yuma, I would always come by to see Grandma and Papa and sit in Papa’s computer room while talking to both of them.

5. When I was little, Papa brought home a dog and let us girls name it and we chose Toto because of the Wizard of Oz.

6. I remember watching To Grandmother’s House We Go all the time at Grandma and Papa’s house. Even in the summer we’d still watch that movie.

7. I loved when Grandma and Papa came to visit Methodist last year and see my school.

8. Papa would stop at Wendy’s sometimes and get us chocolate Frosty’s. It just doesn’t seem right to eat a vanilla one now.

9. Papa liked to watch NCIS and I loved that because I didn’t have to change the channel if that was what I was watching or I would watch it with him if I was at their house.

10. Papa and I liked the same girl on NCIS. She was our favorite.

11. The dogs used to know whenever it was time for their treat during the day. Papa would yell “4 O’clock” and the dogs would come running from wherever they were to get a treat.

12. All the clocks in Grandma and Papa’s house were on different times because Papa liked clocks so much that they were all over…and they made noise, so that would have been a lot of noise every hour.

13. Papa would have orange slices in his computer room and would share with us. J

14. Recently Papa started collecting little bears and had them all around in his office. Even though I only got to see them once or twice, I think he really enjoyed collecting them.

15. If any of us grandkids were ever in the newspaper, Grandma and Papa would always keep the article and show it to us.

16. I loved when Grandma and Papa would come watch me swim or play tennis or any other sport that I was in. I know that he would have loved to be at every match if he could. I always loved having their support too.

17. Papa let me drive his truck when I had my permit. That made me feel really special.

18. When we would go to Golden Corral, Papa would always get Grandma’s dessert for her.

19. I remember having Golden Corral with the family and Grandma and Papa before I first left to move away from Yuma to go to college in Tucson.

20. Sometimes I would just watch CSI or NCIS in Papa’s office and just spending time with him that way was fun.

21. I can still hear how Papa would answer the phone whenever I called the house.

22. We would always have to wait for Grandma and Papa to get to the house on Christmas day before we were able to open any presents.

23. I loved getting to spend the holidays with Grandma and Papa.

24. When Papa would get a new “gadget,” he would always show it off. I could tell he was proud of it. His latest that I can remember was the van and I’m so thankful that he got it because he was able to make the trip to come see me last year.

25. One day I hope to marry someone that loves me as much as Papa loves Grandma.

26. Papa would always make sure that Grandma had someone to go to the movies with her.

27. I really liked when Grandma and Papa were able to come to an awards banquet because I really felt like I was making the family proud.

28. I’m proud that Papa was in the military. I will always have a huge respect for anyone who is in the military and even more so when they are family members.

29. The dogs always loved Papa. They would always lie underneath his computer chair and keep him company.

30. Papa and Dad would watch football or Nascar or whatever other sport was on TV when Grandma and Papa would come over.

31. When we moved to Massachusetts, Grandma and Papa drove all the way there from Arizona to see Britt and I graduate from 8th grade. Then we were able to drive back with them to Arizona and spend the whole summer in Yuma.

32. I learned from Papa and Grandma that one day grandkids are going to be a wonderful part of my life.

33. I really wish that Papa were able to see me graduate when I do in December, but I know that he’ll be watching over me.

34. Papa would let Grandma come visit us when we lived too far away from Arizona.

35. Papa cared so much about Grandma. I could always see that and I hope that one day someone will show me that same amount of care and love.

36. There was always caffeine free diet pepsi in Papa’s room. And he would bring a can or two over when they would come over for the holidays.

37. I always thought it was so cool to be driving in the postal cars because people would give us funny looks for driving on the wrong side of the road.

38. I remember when we threw a surprise party for Grandma and Papa’s anniversary. I don’t think they saw that one coming.

39. Papa liked the satellite radio that was in the van and had his station that him and Grandma would listen to.

40. Grandma and Papa let us live with them when we first moved back to Yuma from Arizona. I’m sure it couldn’t have been easy having a house full of people all the time.

41. When our house was being built in Yuma, Grandma and Papa would go by the house and check up on it. They would take pictures of the progress that was being made.

42. I remember watching a storm in Yuma with Grandma and Papa and Mom and Dad. That same storm was when Dad broke his toe trying to help the neighbors.

43. I was so proud when I heard that Papa had quit smoking years ago when he did. I’m sure it wasn’t easy, but I’m glad he did it.

44. Grandma always talks about how she would write Papa letters when she was in college. I like hearing those stories.

45. One of my favorite pictures with Papa is the picture we took at Aunt Lunde’s wedding.

46. I loved how supportive Grandma and Papa were of the things that I was involved in.

47. When I talk about Papa now, my friends at school still remember when Grandma and Papa came to visit.

48. Before Golden Corral was open, we used to go to Hometown Buffet to eat with Grandma and Papa.

49. There was also a Chinese buffet that we went to a few times with Grandma and Papa. Having those lunches were always fun.

50. I learned from Papa and the rest of my family just how important family really is.

51. When we lived in Hawaii, Grandma and Papa got us a trampoline. I think that really made me love gymnastics even more.

52. Papa always knew about things going on in the news when I would come over and talk to Grandma and Papa. I felt like I was always able to learn something.

53. I think that Papa taught me that the news is important and how it is important to be aware of what is going on in the world.

54. Grandma and Papa would come to see our animals in the fair or the other different projects that we submitted.

55. Papa would let Grandma record shows on the television in his computer room because he knew how much she loved her shows.

56. If I ever needed a ride somewhere, Grandma and Papa would always find time to take me where I needed to go.

57. I’m not sure if Papa had a favorite baseball team or not, but he would always let us know how the Diamondbacks or Red Sox were doing.

58. Dad and Papa helped Aunt Lunde move back to Yuma. They took the bus all the way to go get her.

59. I can’t remember there ever being a time that Grandma or Papa forgot about something that I had going on. If they could be there, they were.

60. After Papa found out he had diabetes, I was never really sure what he was allowed to have, but Papa would always let us know if he should or shouldn’t eat something.

61. I liked talking to Papa about different previews of movies that were coming out and which ones looked like they would be good ones.

62. Even when I’m sure Papa was tired or hurting, I never saw him show that around the family.

63. I liked to learn new things that Papa figured out on the computer.

64. I’m really glad that Papa had his camera around at times. I think he really liked having the new bigger camera, and I think Grandma liked that camera too because the pictures turn out so well.

65. I’m glad that we were able to have a lot of the family over right before I left for North Carolina. It was fun to see the whole family together.

66. Even though Papa can’t be at Brittni’s wedding, I know he’ll still be there. I’m glad that he was able to come to the engagement party. And I am thankful that he was able to know Trevor and approve of him.

67. I always hear mom say how she learned a lot of her work ethic from Papa. I am thankful for that because I think I learned some of my work ethic from mom.

68. Papa would always take Scott to and from work. That showed me how Grandma and Papa would do anything to help any of the grandkids out.

69. I remember the last Easter that I was at home and Grandma and Papa came over and we all colored eggs and had an Easter egg hunt.

70. I liked when Grandma and Papa would come over for Thanksgiving dinner with us.

71. When there were tennis tournaments on television and I would come to visit, Papa always knew how the tournament was going.

72. Grandma and Papa would watch Diamondbacks games if they knew we were going to be at the game to see if we were ever on television.

73. I feel so lucky to have Papa as my grandpa because he taught me so much about loving family and working hard.

74. I am sure Papa is watching over me and looking for a special person to come into my life that will treat me the way that Papa treated Grandma.

75. I miss Papa so much already and think about him every day. I’m not sure that going home will be the same without him, but I know that he loved me and still does. Miss you Papa. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment